Welcome to the COVID-19 and PACEs Science Collection for Self-Care Practices!
We have four topic-specific resource lists related to COVID-19 and PACEs Science. All four will be updated for as long as this pandemic lasts. They are as follows:
- ACEs in Education & COVID-19
- COVID-19 Resources for Healthcare Providers
- Parenting with ACEs in a Pandemic
- Practicing Resilience During Social Distancing
We hope these lists, and the resources, practices, and information in them, are helpful and easy to use. Please let us know if you have ideas, suggestions, practices, or resources to share or are in search of by leaving a comment after this post.
P.S. For updated medical and public health information about COVID-19, visit:
- Quick Practices (30 min. or less) for Self-Care, Self-Soothing & Stress Relief
10% Happier Live
10% Happier website
Discussion and short meditation every weekday at 12p.m. PST / (3 p.m. EST) with varied meditation teachers and guests. Sometimes I catch the meditation and discussion live. Other times, I binge watch/listen. It's great and available for the duration of this pandemic.
Anxiety Gone Viral: Staying calm and connected in uncertain times
YouTube short video
Dr. Jud explains a bit about why this pandemic is causing us anxiety and uncertainty and how and why staying calm and connected can help.
Daily anxiety-relief practices:
Bioenergetic stress and relief video with Deepika Sheleff
I saw this posted on the Trauma Project Facebook page which is a great resource. Sheleff is a life coach with a YouTube channel who has made a series of videos related to love and connection.
Click to Play Video: 9 min.
Capacitar's Response to Global Pandemic
Several self-care practices for individuals, families, and community use with free downloads on techniques for healing and self-soothing, which can be downloaded from the Capacitar International website and are available in English, German, Indonesian, Spanish.
Article and explanation with a link to a video demonstration (right)(under 2 min.)
The video is on the YouTube / addiction.com channel (click to play)
Frequent times available daily to meditate together, in a group, online, for free. The sessions each last for 30 minutes and offer time for reflection and support, as well as meditation. This is a Mindful Leader COVID-19
Support Initiative - and available now through May 1
This organization "examines the liberating power of naps," and "examines rest as a radical tool for community healing. We believe rest is a form of resistance and name sleep deprivation as a racial and social justice issue." The most recent blog post, in reference to COVID-19, is entitled, As grind culture slows down, will you? (Thanks to @Donielle Prince for sharing this!)
This is a page I view several times a day no matter what is happening in the world. During the pandemic, it remains the go-to resource. It's described as "A Psychoeducational Page about trauma + treatment, healing and self-compassion, culture and creativity. Curated by Carol Anna McBride, M.A., M.Ed., Member O.A.C.C.P.P., C.C.A., ISTSS."
This is my favorite source of information for articles, videos, links to classes and curated content about all things trauma, regulation, and healing.
Trauma-Informed Home Practice
A free trauma-informed video practices
Click here to play.
A short, trauma-informed yoga practice
- Collection of COVID-19 Collections
A Trauma Sensitive Response to COVID-19 from Alive & Well Communities
Alive & Well Communities
Many suggestions, resources, and considerations for community responses to COVID-19. A few of the topic areas covered are as follows:
- Validating and Managing the Natural Fear Response
- Challenging Anti-Asian Racism and Xenophobia.
- Mitigating Financial Instability and Lost Income.
- Food Security
- Caregiving in the Event of Isolation/Shutdown
For details, go to the Alive & Well Communities site.
BlackGirlMagik COVID-19 Global Resource Guide
Black Girl Magik
Medium article about the COVIF-19: Black Girl Magik Wellness Initiative describing what it is, how to access and how to contribute. Article by Shydeia Caldwell
A lengthy list of resources with information about money struggles and resources, and support getting medical bills covered among other topics. It's organized in a Q&A format.
Go here for the 15-page guide.
COVID-19 Resources for Nonprofits
This another amazing resource collection. Please find a portion of what's available, below.
- Federal Relief
- Information for NonProfits
- Analysis of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) — National Council of Nonprofits
- CARES Act: How to Apply for Nonprofit Relief Funds — Independent Sector
- Small Business & Nonprofit Loans: Everything You Need to Know to Access the Funds — The Jewish Federations of North America
- What Nonprofits Should Do Right Now — Nonprofit Finance Fund
- Resources for NonProfits
- Communications Resources
Full list of COVID-19 Resources and Information for Nonprofits CLICK HERE.
COVID-19: Community Resource Hub (Updated weekly)
Below, please find a partial list from this amazing (and ongoing) resource hub!
- Resource Bundles
- Live & Online & Free
- Free Online Offerings / Copper Beech Institute
- Meditation and Connection Sessions /Gayle Van Gils
- Daily Sunrise Nature Meditation with Mark Coleman /Awake in the Wild
- Greater Good Together /Greater Good Science Center
- Free Online Resilience Program /Goleman EI - Daniel Goleman
- The Mindful Living Collective / Elisha Goldstein
- Daily YouTube videos / Judson Brewer
- The Resilient Option Program / The Resilient Option - Amit Sood
- Restoring Resourcefulness Program / Foundation for Conscious Living
- Unlocking the Fear Code and Accessing Essence Power / Foundation for Conscious Livings
- Guided Meditation: Facing What's Here With Compassion / Search Inside Yourself Leadership Institute (SIYLI)
- Resilience Practice Videos / Windhorse Seminars - Fleet Maull, PhD
- Articles & Announcements
- 10 Self-Compassion Practices for COVID-19 Ctr for Mindful Self Compassion/Dr. Kristin Neff
- Practicing in a Pandemic / Tricycle
- How to Stay Connected While Practicing Social Distancing / Experience Life
- GW CEPL to Host “Co-VITA19 Social Medicine: Mobilizing Community Wellbeing through Leadership Conversations” / Center for Excellence in Public Leadership
- Support the Providing Americans Insured Days of Leave Act (PAID Leave Act)
American Sustainable Business Council
New guests are added to the line up frequently, so please check the website for more.
Resources original geared towards survivors of trauma, particularly gendered violence, expanded since pandemic started with:
Disproportionate Racial Impacts of COVID 19
Embrace Race Organization
- One-Pagers, Articles, & Gentle Reminders
Cornonavirus Sanity Guide: 10% Happier
This links to free guided meditations, podcasts, as well as the poster (see right) that can be used when hand-washing. There is free access to the 10% happier app, as well, for all healthcare workers.
Weekdays: Live meditations available to all at 12pm PST (3 pm EST) through the duration of the pandemic.
By the California Department of Public Health, Injury and Prevention Branch (CDPH/IVPB) and the California Department of Social Service, Office of Child Abuse Prevention’s (CDSS/OCAP), Essentials for Childhood (EfC) Initiative, ACEs Connection, and the Yolo County Children’s Alliance
Donna Jackson Nakazawa on bringing down the stress-threat response
ACEs Connection Article
Donna Jackson Nakazawa on dislodging the trauma headspace & Making micro-changes
ACEs Connection Article
Sheltering in Place: ACEs-Informed Tips for Self-Care During a Pandemic
Center for Youth Wellness, Jim Hickman
Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley / Brooke Anderson Article
TIC Take Five Series: ACEs Connection/ Lancaster County (PA) ACEs & Resilience Connection
Melanie G Snyder
A Call to Action Share Knowledge Now
By Cheryl Strep