MIGHT YOU BE SAFE BARS’ EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR?
Safe Bars is a young 501c3 whose mission is to create cultures of safety and respect in hospitality and other alcohol-related businesses. Our work is grounded in the social justice and anti-gender-based violence movements, and our approach is training, primarily in active bystander skills.
Safe Bars is seeking an executive director for a 30-hour a week position. Although the founder has been functioning in some ways as a director, this will be the first time the position has been formally created and funded, giving its occupant a chance to create the new, expanded role. The executive director will have an opportunity to help build the organization and shape its growth and vision.
Safe Bars embraces a world view and action that is anti-racist, anti-sexist, LGTBQIA+-positive, and anti-ableist, with a commitment to ending all forms of oppression. BIPOC and disabled candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
In addition to the director position, Safe Bars has two part-time staff, 12 contract trainers, and a 5-member board of directors. All of them (except the board) report to the Executive Director.
The Executive Director:
- Is responsible for planning, organization, and directing the organization’s operations and programs
- Develops, maintains, and supports a strong board of directors; works closely with the board to fulfill the organization’s mission
- Leads fundraising efforts, including through donations, grants, and fee for service offerings
- Oversees the curricula, including new trainings and improvement of existing trainings; keeps up with best practices in training and in ending gender-based violence; ensures program efficacy and relevance
- Develops the budget; keeps an eye on changes needed year-round
- Hires, supervises, and retains a diverse, highly qualified staff by supporting them in their work, mentoring trainers, and providing opportunities for growth
- Implements an evaluation system
- Has primary responsibility for marketing and communications efforts including website, media appearances, and conference presentations
- Is instrumental in initiating and developing partnerships with business and industry groups to create opportunities and further Safe Bars’ mission
- Creates expansion plans
- Oversees work of contractors, including the bookkeeper and the design/tech person
- Oversees relationships with local Safe Bars teams
- Complies with legal and regulatory requirements for 501c3s, insurance, taxes, etc.
We’re seeking candidates who:
- Share Safe Bars’ mission of stopping sexual and other kinds of harassment in the hospitality industry, and understand it as part of a larger movement for social and economic justice
- Have experience working in the hospitality and/or alcohol industry
- Are able to build strong partnerships with allied companies and organizations
- Are skilled in training and facilitation
- Have a social-justice based understanding of gender-based, racist, ableist, anti-immigrant, and other violence
- Have experience leading a team, programs, and projects
- Are flexible and able to work with people with varied identities, personalities, life experiences, and needs, embracing the strengths and contributions of them all
- Have excellent verbal and written communications skills
Speaking Spanish is a plus.
YES! YOU SHOULD STILL APPLY IF…
- you don’t have a lot of formal education. The right skills and the desire to learn are more important.
- you have been incarcerated. Your past circumstances don’t dictate your future potential.
- you require flexible working hours. You’ll fit right in.
- you think you are “sort of” qualified but not 100% qualified. Don’t sell yourself short! It never hurts to find out!
Salary and benefits/working conditions
- $65,000 salary
- 30 hours per week
- Remote work, flexible work hours. Being within three time zones of Eastern time is a plus.
- Some evening and weekend hours
- $350 monthly payment toward health care costs
- 150 hours paid time off per year (vacation/personal/sick leave, plus holidays)
How to apply
Send a resume or work history, and a cover letter or at least two paragraphs about why you want to work for Safe Bars and why you think you’d be great at it, to email@example.com. Be sure to put the words “Executive Director” in the subject line. Position (posted 2/24/22) is open until filled.
Safe Bars is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We encourage all who meet minimum qualifications to apply. We oppose discrimination based on race, color, creed, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, religion, marital status, pregnancy, military status, disability, or any other protected characteristics or marginalized identities.