Please join us on June 28 from 1:30-3:00 p.m. ET for a virtual conversation with best-selling author Bruce Perry. Ingrid Cockhren, CEO of PACEs Connection; Mathew Portell, PACEs Connections’ director of communities, and Perry, a psychiatrist and neuroscientist, will engage in a conversation concerning historical trauma and Perry’s best-selling book "What Happened to You? Conversations on Trauma, Resilience and Healing," which he co-authored with Oprah Winfrey.
Please share this blog post, and the attached flyer, and be sure to invite your community to join us as Perry and hosts address:
- How asking “What Happened to You?” is THE QUESTION that can lead to understanding, healing, connection, and community.
- How toxic childhood stress can damage the structure and function of developing brains.
- How protective factors can help families and communities be strong.
- What we, in community, can do to address racism, poverty, and inequity.
- How having an understanding of historical trauma, including genocide, imprisonment, enslavement, and exploitation, can help build healthier, more compassionate communities.
- How sharing "What Happened to You?" with members of your community can inspire a desire to work together to create a more equitable society.
Invite members of your community to this important event and learn how you and your community can be involved in our new Connecting Communities One Book at a Time book study.
Connecting Communities One Book at a Time has the potential to bring your community together around books that help us have critical conversations concerning trauma, inequity, resiliency, and positive childhood experiences.
Register now for the discussion with Perry on June 28, and watch for details of how your community can lead your local book study.
This opportunity is a new way PACEs Connection members and communities can connect, learn, heal, brainstorm and work together to improve the lives of children and families based on lessons learned from the book. The Connecting Communities project was inspired by the Georgia Reads book study of "What Happened to You?", in which more than 40 Georgia groups discussed the book in the past year.
For more information, please contact Carey Sipp, director of strategic partnerships, at email@example.com.
For more information about the book and a review tying it to PACEs Connection, please click the link below.